Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Mexico Trip Part II

9Sep10
This write up is a little after the fact. It's still in the same month, though - I'm not leaving you hanging on the edge of the Andes again!
While it is extremely convenient that American Eagle flys into Santa Fe (SAF) airport these days, they do so in small commuter jets that tend to fill up quickly and unexpectedly. Instead of departing DFW on Friday the 10th, 'space available' was rapidly becoming 'space un-available' and I needed to didi on Thursday afternoon. A quick call (oh dear, even that action word has been up-dated! a quick TEXT) to my friends and Jeff B broke off his busy day to take me to the big airport.
A little concern over my hiking poles with their sharp carbide tips was quickly put at ease (didn't even raise an eyebrow), but my 4oz of deodorant stick had to go (sorry, 16A and 16C, whoever you were!)
EZ flight and land at SAF with it's adobe styled terminal, and the 20 minute walk over to Airport Storage. I stopped along the way to buy a tire gage, and witnessed the all too human ego display that must give God the willeys every time it happens.
"Miss, you need to turn on pump 4" "But you told me pump 6" "No, I didn't, just turn on pump 4" "Ok, but you told me pump 6" "No, I didn't" "Yes, you did. Pump 4 is on now".
This pass all I was carrying was hiking poles, toiletries (less than expected) and one extra set of clothes. After all, everything else was still on the bike waiting for me! Tuck in here, repack there and I'm off with a wave to Ian, who was making the rounds with his two pit-bull dogs.
Route for today is simple - up NM599 north to 285, switch to 68 at Espanola, and then cut off on 75 thru Penasco to 518 and the Sipapu Ski Resort. While I wasn't the first to set up camp (by any means) I was still able to use the very same site I've used for over 6 years now, at the far end of the 'noisey' campground away from the lodge, at the foot of the ski slopes next to the trees and the wooden out house.
Pulling in I am greeted by a couple who peer into my visor, note my campsite and cry RANDY!!!
I am at a loss as to who they are.
Folks begin to look familiar while their name and origin of contact elude me. Nancy and Curtis are from north of Denver and we met 2 years ago.
My next door (next flap? we are camping) neighbor is a new guy, though. Really new - like a rally virgin. Dave Long is riding a lovely R1200RT down from Minneapolis-St Paul on an extended tour. Turns out he was a Navy enlisted man, and while still in his prime (just like me only a couple years more), has moved through several careers since then. Including electrician, which will come to play a part in our story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home