Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Mexico Trip Part II

10Sep10
Where are you riding today? not How are you? or How did you sleep? is the first question you'll be asked at a BMW rally. I amaze my circle by announcing my intent NOT to ride, but rather to hike - up Wheeler Peak (again), highest point in NM at 13,200 or so. Quizzical looks and flying eyebrows tell me I'm not making much sense, but that's ok. I'm here to do what I want to do - and I've already plowed most of these roads last month and in previous years.
As a courtesy I roll my bike from between the tents and down to the flat near the road and attempt to start it. That's right - attempt. At first I put it down to the cold, but on the second push of the starter the lights go out and the starter sounds like a cricket. A sick cricket.
Then nada.
Crap.
I've been nursing and rationalizing an electrical problem since two summers ago when daughter Emily and I rode up to Banff Canada and back. The generator light which is supposed to illuminate before start and extinguish at idle (+) RPM hasn't been coming on regularly. For all this time, however, the bike has continued to start and run fine.
Until today.
I have cables and begin asking for help. All I want is a running bike from which to draw enough power to start my bike, and then I still believed (mistakenly) that it will recharge itself. What I get are offers of other avenues - kind and well intended, but not what I want/need. FINALLY another rider is about to leave and in 2 minutes we siphon electrons to start my bike and I am off!
For about 15 of the 20 miles into Taos.
My GPS says 'external power lost', the bike surges, and then dies, and I coast to the side of the road.
Well, at least I'm sure of one thing - the charging system isn't working if that light doesn't come on like it's supposed to! Ah well, I'm at ease. I have tools, I have resources at the rally, and it isn't raining. In fact, the day is BEAUTIFUL, just like all the days at the rally will be this year. So I remove the battery, stash my 'valuables', and stick my out my thumb. 5 min later a pick-up stops and 15 minutes later I am back at the rally.
Dave is still there, and offers any assistance he can, and after locating a spare battery (care of the Land of Enchantment BMW Riders Club) that will fit I am on the back of his bike heading towards Taos.
We replace the battery and the bike starts, but Dave, as a professional, is dissatisfied with leaving it at that and cajoles me into troubleshooting the charging system (aka Doing It Right) and we take apart the instrument cluster and de-corrode the connections. Voila! Bright light before start, Dark light while running, and 13+v going back into the battery.
As a thank-you I take him to lunch in Taos, and then we ride the southern end of the Enchanted Circle to Angle Fire, and down 434 to Mora, where I tarry to take photographs in the evening sun.
Back at camp we are treated to firey chili and bluegrass music by the babbling trout stream, and I am grateful for the resourcefulness and comradre of the BMW clan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home