Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Mexico Trip Part II

11SEP10
Hiking today, Mean it.
This time when I roll the bike to the bottom of the hill I am not alone and there is a collective sigh of relief when the bike fires up strongly. Thanks Dave.
Off through Taos to the ski resort. Note: NM150, which leaves 522 north of Taos and is an in/out to the ski resort, is a beautiful ride, in deep canyon shade with twists and falls and is worthy on it's own.
At 0945, about an hour later than I'd have liked, but such is vacation, I shuck my road gear for trail duds and am headed uphill; a status that will continue for the next 8 miles. Well, there are some appreciable downhill bits - but that only means MORE uphill both coming and going. Sigh. Just like life.
At about 1315 (or 1:15pm) I join a group at the summit and we do our little dances of self congratulation and try to get cell phone signal. Along the way I've seen marmot, chipmunks or ground squirrels, and prong horn. I have also passed several groups and not been passed myself. I feel pretty good about that, for an old 54 year veteran of this planet.
My last foot fall on the trail is 1630 (4:30pm - c'mon, get with it) and I am pleased to have covered 16 miles and +/- 4500 of elevation change. Now it's back to camp for the big Saturday night burrito and hoe-down. Hoe Down? I wonder if that comes from putting ones' 'hoe down', stopping work, and recreating?
Revelry lasts to the wee-hours (so called because that's when I usually wake up to (yup) wee), but I do not, and sleeping in 38 degrees is just right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home